909 West Hamilton Avenue
Sherrill, NY 13461
Although a separate entity from the City of Sherrill, the independent Sherrill-Kenwood Water District acts and is commonly referred to as another department of the city. The water district is overseen by an independently elected water board. The first public water supply, in what is now the City of Sherrill, was provided sometime after 1901 by the Snell Spring located on top of Marble Hill. It flowed about three gallons per minute and served the public along Hamilton, Campbell and Ransom Avenues from faucets located in the street. In 1910 a 6″ cast iron water main was installed from the Downey Reservoir located on Peterboro Road to the Oneida Limited Sales Office in Kenwood. From there a 2″ wrought iron line was extended to Primo Avenue to meet the public’s need for water. In 1920 the Sherrill-Kenwood Water District was established by a New York State Charter. Also in 1920 the district constructed a number of spring boxes along the New York O&W Railroad. The water was sent to a pump house behind the Oneida Limited Sales Office by gravity where it was pumped out to the district. The first reservoir was also constructed in 1920, holding 2,000,000 gallons of water. In 1926 the City of Oneida constructed its Glenmore water supply system and the Sherrill-Kenwood Water District contracted to purchase its entire requirements of water from Oneida. This arrangement is still in effect today. The Sherrill-Kenwood Water District distribution system consists of approximately 25 miles of water main, 168 fire hydrants and 1,255 water services.
Read the 2015 Sherrill-Kenwood Water Quality Report (AWQR) here-